The approach adopted by TISS-SVE is called the Work Integrated Training Program (WITP). This Vocational Educational Program is being implemented for the first time in India with a focus on job-specific skills rather than providing only a board-based education.
Work Integrated Training Program (WITP) is where students learn the skill by engaging in on-the-job training at real shop floor of the industry/company. For effective delivery of this model, we will be leveraging on the expertise of a partner who will provide classroom-based training and it will be known as a Hub. In addition, there will be execution partners to provide on the job training and they will be called as Skill Knowledge Partners (SKPs) that could include hospitals/industries/companies. Hence, with the Hub and Spoke model, students will be placed in the SKPs for on-the-job training while classroom theoretical training will be given by the Hub partner.
The aim of WITP is to provide the trainee the opportunity to enhance their skills and gain workplace-based industry experience as a part of their certification program. For the trainee, the experience is valuable as training is built around the context of work, enabling them to learn by working and observing.
This model also allows ‘Earn while you Learn’ feature. This will enable the trainee to earn a stipend during on-the-job duration of the course of training to support their simultaneous vocational education. Although, this is not mandatory for any institution, it is a practice that SVE-TISS strongly encourages for Skill Knowledge Partners to adopt.
TISS-SVE, through its training partners, will provide the requisite structured classroom sessions while inducting them into the work settings. The WIT program would further enable students to perform better in the highly technically advanced world by providing them with a platform to learn the duties and responsibilities of various employees while they are student-trainees at the facility. To be an institute of national excellence providing competency development and gainful employability to 5% of India’s aggregate demand for skilled labor and another 15% through catalyzing and ‘spread’ effects.
To be an institute of national excellence providing competency development and gainful employability to 5% of India’s aggregate demand for skilled labour and another 15% through catalyzing and ‘spread’ effects.
BENEFITS OF THE TRAINING PROGRAMS AT TISS-SVE
- This initiative enables those who have dropped out of the formal education system to pursue education in the vocational streams.
- It helps organizations upgrade the skills of its blue-collar workforce by accrediting them with a recognized degree/diploma for the vocational skills they already possess. This would lead to higher retention, efficiency and productivity of workforce.
- Employees enrolled as students have to undergo only one day of theoretical training per week.
- Practical training imparted by Skill Knowledge Partners is based on specifically defined learning outcomes.
- Third party examination & certification (by TISS-SVE) brings in the required rigor and promotes higher standards.
- Industries that employ part-time, temporary or seasonal workforce can take TISS students and provide them internship opportunities.
- Industry organizations can sponsor students as part of their CSR activity.
- All training can be conducted in the vernacular language.